WordPress is a platform for delivering content through blogs and sites. By default it has all the features that a regular blog or site building platform provides. In addition to these WordPress also has a lot of plugins to customize and manage your blogs and sites in a more effective manner. WordPress Photo Gallery is a wide option having a huge list of plugins to share your pictures with friends and family. You can even use this option to upload pictures to your business or e-commerce website.
WP Photo Gallery Plugins
From among the vast number of plugins some of the plugins are discussed as follows:
- Royal Gallery Plugin: You can use this free WordPress image gallery to show unlimited images, play youtube videos etc.
- NextGen Gallery: You can organize your images into photo galleries and albums. You can have a title and description for each gallery. Sorting of your photos is also made easier with this plugin.
- WP Flip ImagePlugin: This plugin allows you to show your users the content by flipping the photographs around. The photo flips right around by just one click on it and reveals details like text and links you would like to display.
- WP iSell Photo: You can easily sell photos from your WordPress blog with a one-step paypal checkout. Using this plugin your blog can be turned easily into an e-commerce photo gallery.
- FancyBox Gallery: You can integrate FancyBox with WordPress by linking the thumbnails to an image. You don’t require any additional configuration for this.
- WP Photo Album Plus: You can use this plugin to manage and display your photo albums. You can control the display sizes, enable a comment system and also provide a search sidebar widget.
The photo galleries in WordPress are displayed in three different styles like thumbnail grid layout, tiled-mosaic layout and slideshow. You are free to select your choice but by default they are displayed in the thumbnail grid layout. Under tiled-mosaic layout you can further customize the shape of the tile into a rectangle tile or a square tile or a circular tile. To change a style from default to your choice you can select the option from the following path on your dashboard; Settings > Media > Image Gallery Carousel.
Adding a Gallery
Steps to add a Gallery to your blog are listed as follows:
- Open the page or post you want to edit
- Click the Add Media button.
- Click Create Gallery at the top left.
- Select picture files to upload.
- Click Create New Gallery.
You can also edit and customize the photo and gallery settings after creating a gallery. You can add Columns, Random Order and Type. You should remember that the Link to option does not work with the slideshow.
WordPress Photo Gallery Themes
You can customize your blogs by adding the themes designed especially for WordPress Photo Galleries. With the help of these themes, you can have a wonderful image-portfolio and many other features that elevate your website and make it look attractive.
Some of the Free WordPress Photo Gallery Themes are discussed below:
- AutoFocus: It is a simple WordPress theme for photographers. It features Five widgetized sidebar areas, fully configurable colour options, CSS styles for Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Safari.
- Photographer: It is a free WordPress Themes which is compatible with WordPress 3.5+ and is Search Engine Optimized. It supports XHTML and CSS.
- High Resolution: The theme uses WordPress custom navigation menu feature and has a widgetized sidebar. You can display your own logo and create your own custom photo galleries.
- Shuttershot: This is powered by a full screen slideshow to present your showcase in an impressive way.
Some of the Premium WordPress Photo Gallery Themes are discussed below:
- Shutterbug: A Premium WordPress Responsive Theme built on ZillaFramework. It has multiple gallery layouts and has two homepage sliders. It supports full localization and allows you to customize the Admin logo.
- Expression: It is responsive WordPress theme for Photo Gallery which has special features like Retina Display Optimization and Dynamic AJAX Gallery for unlimited pages.
- PicTree: A unique WordPress theme for photographers with two color options – black and white. It has an extensive admin menu.
- Attracto: It is another responsive theme for WordPress Photo Galleries having Light and Dark Schemes. You can change colors using the Colorpicker.
In short WordPress Photo Galleries gives you a chance to reach out to the people using your creative expressions like photos easily and flexibly. You can use this feature both for your personal and business purposes in an effective way. You can manage, customize, arrange, upload and organize photos in an unlimited way. It makes selling your beautiful photographs easier too! To learn more about WordPress hosting at GreenGeeks, click here.